Kärleksmums, our Swedish cake-inspired Imperial Stout
Our pals at NerdBrewing know a thing or two about brewing stouts, and our recent collaboration with them is testament to that. With rich aromas of pure mocha, our imperial stout takes inspiration from Kärleksmums, one of Scandinavia's most loved cakes.
Our vegan friendly pastry stout is packed to the brim with rich flavours of smooth dark chocolate from cacao nibs and roasted coffee from our neighbours at Edinburgh Tea and Coffee company. Kent Golding hops give a light bitterness to balance the sweet vanilla flavour from the pastry base and coconut shavings.
We loved the flavour of this beer so much that we just had to try the cake it's inspired by. However, we're brewers not bakers, so we called in the professionals to bring this tasty treat to life.
Fiona at Fi's fancies is our star baker this week, after tasting the delicious Kärleksmums tray bake she created for us! Her home based business in Glasgow, Scotland specialises in baking delicious brownies and blondies, cupcakes and traybakes for all occasions.
Fiona was also kind enough to share the recipe with us, giving an option to include a splash or two of our pastry stout for those feeling a little adventurous. Fiona's recipe will help you make a tray bake of around 30 pieces, depending on how big you like your slices... On your marks, get set, BAKE!
Unsalted Butter – 225g
Whole Milk – 200ml
Eggs – 5
Sugar – 382g
Plain Flour – 312g
Vanilla Sugar – 1 ½ tbsp
Cocoa Powder – 62g
Baking Powder – 3 tsp
Unsalted Butter – 75g
Cold Strong Coffee – 75ml
Vanilla Sugar – 1 ½ tbsp
Icing Sugar – 264g
Desiccated Coconut – 7tbsp
Vault City Kärleksmums Imperial Pastry Stout – 1 ½ tsp (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160C
- Line two 30cm x 20cm baking trays with greaseproof paper
- Melt butter in a pot and then add milk
- Whisk eggs and sugar until creamy
- Mix in the melted butter and milk
- Gently mix in flour, vanilla sugar, cocoa and baking powder
- Pour the mix between the 2 baking trays (approx. 730g of cake mix per tray)
- Melt butter in a pot, mix in cold coffee, cocoa powder, vanilla sugar and icing sugar
- If making recipe with Vault City Kärleksmums Imperial Pastry Stout, mix in beer
- Spread the icing on top of the cake once it has completely cooled (approx. 225g of icing per tray)
- Sprinkle coconut on top before the icing sets
- Once cooled down cut the cake in squares and serve (15 per tray)